Saturday, September 20, 2014

U.S. Cent Missing Obverse, Damage?

This is the third time I got a coin that looks exactly like this in my change. It could be damage or a missing clad layer error.

 There are no circular grooves common in drilled coins. The surface is exposed zinc core is flat and even.

The edge is also perfectly smooth and no hint of altering.

The back may be dirty but it near perfect with no warping and what looks like full steps.

This is not a true Missing Clad Layer error because the front would be stamped. So it could be a lamination error. Lamination errors happen when part of the metal peels off. So is it possible that whole front peeled off?

Still I think it is damaged but not being an expert on errors I cannot say for sure. If you have any information just leave a comment below.

4 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

Could be a magician's coin. You place a dime inside for a trick.

Man said...

Could be a magician's coin. You place a dime inside for a trick.

I think you are correct, I found one or two with dimes inside them.

The cut looks professional and the reverse is near perfect.

Unknown said...

I have a 1965 Canadian penny and am interested in the details of it.

Man said...

1965 Canadian penny about $0.05