Wednesday, September 17, 2014

1970-S Nickel

My coin collecting rule is usually just anything that is odd, 50+ year old, non-U.S., or brand new. This is an exception because it has an S mint mark for San Francisco. True it is still common but I see S mint marks the least among all coins so I choose to keep any I find.

This was the last S mint marked nickel issued for circulation. Over 238 million were made so they will never likely be worth more than metal value in circulated condition.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Cents / United States
Year: 1970-S
Mintage: 238,832,004
Metal: 75% Copper 25% Nickel
Value: $0.10 in F-12

Do you have a nickel and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

4 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Unknown said...

I have a $5 silver cert. Series of 1934 D Washington DC... serial # R17697305 A ... # on back lower right is 1798 ...E 2070 above sec. Of treasure's name... can you tell me it's worth please... it's in really good condition. .. some folding but no rips/tears at all... thank you

Man said...

$5 silver cert. Series of 1934 D Washington DC... serial # R17697305 A ... # on back lower right is 1798 ...E 2070 above sec. Of treasure's name... can you tell me it's worth please... it's in really good condition. .. some folding but no rips/tears at all...

About $12.50

Unknown said...

I have 1984 Penny, and the "L" in the word LIBERTY is missing. Anyone know if is worth something?

Unknown said...

Hi I have this same coin it weighs 5.12 grams is that heavy for a nickel?