Friday, September 28, 2012

1943-S Steel Cent

Have a cent and want to know its value? Leave a comment

This is not the $1 million dollar copper 1943 cent. Instead this is the normal zinc-coated steel cent issued because there was a copper shortage during World War II. Copper and silver version were made accidentally and sell for hundreds of thousands to $1.7 million for a unique 1943-D copper cent.


 I have been hearing about the rare and valuable 1943 penny since I was a kid. They used to advertise in the TV Guide that only four copper war cent have been found and you may rich if you find the fifth. Of course I searched for years and finally at my first job I found one in the register and kept it. I was young and not an expert collector so as soon as I found it I tried cashing it in. Hoping to get at at least $100,000 you can imagine my disappointment when he said $0.10.

Now I am older and understand that the error version is very rare. Most have been found and rarely go to auction. Many fakes exist and while weight is a good way to show fraud most are so expertly made that only a professional grading service can tell.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Cent  / United States
Year: 1943-S
Mintage: 191,550,000
Metal: 100% Steel and plated with Zinc
Value: $0.40 in F-12

If you notice on certain spots on this coin the zinc is wearing off and the steel is getting exposed and rusting.

Do you have a cent and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

0 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.: