Wednesday, September 26, 2012

2003-P Canada Quarter, New Effigy

Have Canadian quarter and want to know its value? Leave a comment

When you have a living person on a coin that seemingly will never die you have to upgrade every few years. 2003 was one of those upgrade years when they changed the mature Queen to the new older Queen. Not exactly elderly but more grandma-like. They did away with the crown and dropped in a wrinkle or two.

 The reverse stayed the same with that iconic caribou.

2003 saw two caribou Canadian quarters. The first had the older design which was the younger queen, the second had the newer design which has the older queen. To make it easier they are referred to the old effigy and new effigy. I have yet to find the 2003 old effigy because it was made in a lower quantity about a 1:4 ratio in favor of the new effigy. Below is the old and new side by side, a 2001-P and 2003-P.


Here are the official names of all the portraits of the queen on the Canadian quarter:
  • Laureated Portrait (1953-1964)
  • Tiara Portrait (1965-1989)
  • Royal Diademed Portrait (1990-2003) 
  • Uncrowned Portrait (2003- ) 

Here are the stats...
Type/Country: 25 Cents-New Effigy /Canada
Year: 2003-P
Mintage: 66,861,633
Metal: 94% Steel, 3.8% Copper, 2.2% Nickel
Value: $0.25 in EF-40

Do you have a Canadian quarter and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

6 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

1974 Canadian 25 cent piece?

Man said...

1974 Canadian 25 cent piece just $0.25

Tony Hallman said...

Back in early 60's I worked at FED in Cincinnati. I found in my wrapping machine a newly minted penny struck on a lock washer. All coins I was wrapping came directly from the mint. About 10 years later I sold the coin to someone from California who was attending a coin show that was in town in Cinti. I know this was an extremely rare find and had never seen one in Spadone's guide book. The lock washer amazingly had the date struck on it. I sold it for $500. and suspect the guy I sold it to got at least double that when he sold it. Have you seen this coin in amy publications or on line and what do you think it is worth today?

Thanks

T. Hallman

Man said...

newly minted penny struck on a lock washer

Yes a few have been found for nickels also generally they sell currently for about $5,000 in high grade.

The link below shows one it sold for $4,887.50.
1972 Washer error cent

If you know the exact year and mint mark maybe I can find yours.

Anonymous said...

I got alot of these coins on a trade and half of these world coins I have no idea what there worth I got a 2003 p old lady 25cents

Man said...

I got alot of these coins on a trade and half of these world coins I have no idea what there worth I got a 2003 p old lady 25cents

Feel free to clearly list them anywhere on this blog.

That 2003P Canadian quarter is still just $0.25