Thursday, September 27, 2012

1989 South Africa 2 Rand

Have a South Africa coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment

I would prefer a Krugerrand but this worn 2 rand is the highest face value South African coin I own. Although this little coin seems a bit suspicious. It is a bit warped and some design elements are missing. Could it be a fake?
 

It weighs 5.45 grams which is 0.05 grams lighter than normal. Still this is within normal range especially if worn. Would it even be worth faking? It is equivalent to a U.S. quarter even back in 1989 I doubt it had a stronger purchasing power.

The front says SUID-AFRIKA 1989 SOUTH AFRICA and the banner in the arms should read EX UNITATE VIRES. The ALS initials are there.

The back has an impala and 2 RAND but the ALS initials are not there. The bulging back has made the details less than sharp. Poor impala has no eye, it is kind of creepy.

The edge seems like a normal alternating segmented 2 Rand even has a coppery hue to it when angled right. So I am leaning towards real because there is nothing conclusive that it is a fake.

Here's the stats for this coin...
Type/Country: 2 Rand / South Africa
Year: 1989
Mintage: 65,233,000
Metal: Nickel Plated Copper
Value: $0.24 in AG (almost-good) same as currency exchange

Do you have a South African coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

16 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

Most of my coins are from Rhodesia & Nyasaland, Rhodesia, Southern Rohodesia, Zimbabwe and South Africa. In amongst these I have quite a few error coins. I am happy to send photos of the most interesting errors but also of any coins from the above places that you may be interested in seeing. Let me know where I can send these to.

Anonymous said...

This is a common R2.00 (rand) coin from South Africa and it is not a fake - just worn. By the way, the animal on the R2.00 is a Kudu. I can post a nice brand new one if you like. Debbie.

Anonymous said...

I have many coins from Rhodesia & Nyasland, Rhodesia, Southern Rhodesia, Zimbabwe and South Africa. I can send photos of any or some of these if you are interested. I have quite a few error coins in amongst these so let me know where to send some pictures. Debbie

Man said...

This is a common R2.00 (rand) coin from South Africa and it is not a fake - just worn. By the way, the animal on the R2.00 is a Kudu.

Thanks, I thought it was real but you never know. Also Kudu is great to find out what it was, I still had to Google "Kudu" beautiful animal.

Man said...

I have quite a few error coins in amongst these so let me know where to send some pictures.

Love to see them just post an email and I'll delete it if you feel comfortable.

Unknown said...

Yes I also have a1990 2 rand silver african Coin in good shape,I was wondering if you have any information on this Coin.Thank You.

Man said...

1990 2 rand silver african Coin in good shape

About $0.25 any other info is the same as the one above.

Anonymous said...

This is a common South African coin, but there are fake ones as well. They are a bit lighter and apparently the plating is thinner so that the coppery base comes through.

Man said...

This is a common South African coin, but there are fake ones as well. They are a bit lighter and apparently the plating is thinner so that the coppery base comes through.

Nice to know, thanks.

Odie8654 said...

I received a 1989 South Africa 2 rand. Trying to find out if it's worth anything. Received when receiving my recycling money by error!!! Can't find anything to tell me. I know it's not worth lots, I'm just curious....

Thanks I'd appreciate anyone being able to tell me.

Man said...

1989 South Africa 2 rand

Still about the same $0.25

Klasie said...

Hi my I have a 2014 parlement building R2 coin. Then a 2017 O.R Thambo R5 coin also 2011 90th anneversary R5 coin. And lastly 4 Griqua town 2015 coins.

Unknown said...

I have the 2 Rand u just explained its feature above does it worth

Unknown said...

I would like to know if this site is still a available for Q&A.... Tx

Ellie said...

I have multiple foreign coins and notes, rands hong kong dollar amerian coins and the list goes on anyone able to help me figure them out

Unknown said...

I have a 2 Rand coin it has at the bottom does this make any difference in the value