Wednesday, September 12, 2012

1989 Canadian Dollar

Have a Canada dollar coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment

The loonie is a successful dollar coin from Canada. Granted when you spend half of your time wearing bulky clothes and mittens then having big change is great. The bikini clad beach goers of California do not seem equipped to have tons of dollars in large coins jingling around their barely there outfits. (My knowledge of Cali and Canada all stems from sitcoms.)


It looks very much like the U.S. versions in size and color although the shape and metal is different. Maybe because I spend too much time solving engineering efficiency problems but I do not see how this coin is better than a bill for the user. Yes it is many times more efficient for the producer but not the end user.

Even in this tough economy I have seen youngsters hit the ATM then buy something and refuse the change without even counting it. Today I noticed that tip jars have increased everywhere and that most people keep the $5 and up bills and then drop the rest of the change into the tip jars. Crumbs is the last place I saw this happen five times in a row.

Does America want change? Apparently not if the change is too heavy. (sounds political but it is not)

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Dollar / Canada
Year: 1989
Mintage: 184,773,902
Metal: Aureate-Bronze Plated Nickel: 91.5% Nickel, 8.5% Bronze
Value: $1.03 in Very-Fine

P.S. Sorry Canadian Loonie for not focusing on you but I will next time. This one was common and not much to say.

Do you have a dollar from Canada and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you

2 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

I have an '89 loonie that the bust of the queen is frosted looking. Is that good or bad? Was it part of a set or something? If I'm not supposed to ask this here I'm sorry just wanted to get this info and don't know where to go.

Man said...

I have an '89 loonie that the bust of the queen is frosted looking. Is that good or bad? Was it part of a set or something? If I'm not supposed to ask this here I'm sorry just wanted to get this info and don't know where to go.

Ask anywhere there are no rules.

Yes they made a frosted proof-like version also.
General they sell for $4-$12 depending on grade.