Friday, June 13, 2014

Asian Merchant/Game Token, 010-8887 8206

Found in a "take a penny, leave a penny" tray. I left a nickel behind and picked up this odd token. It seems Korean but I do not recognize any characters or writing. The token has a phone number, some alien looking dude giving the peace sign, and a bunch of fingers in that V sign.

As great as the internet is finding where this token originated from is almost impossible. I found a Chinese company that makes these types of token for about $1.00 each. Then the telephone number on the token itself comes up in a Korean directory.

The reason for placing the number on a token is more obvious. In most Asian countries the number 8 is thought be lucky and multiple eights brings joy and wealth to a business. People especially in Chinese communities bid on telephone or post office boxes with multiple eights.

Here are the stats for this token...
Type / Country: No value token - 010-8887 8206 / Unknown
Year: Unknown
Mintage: Unknown
Metal: Unknown (Non-Magnetic)
Diameter: 0.9375 inch Thickness: 0.0625 inches Weight: 6.10 grams
Value: $1.00 in circulated Very-Fine
Obverse Writing: 010-88878206
Reverse Writing: 010-88878206 (unknown Asian characters)

If you know anything else about this token or can translate the writing please leave a comment below.

Do you have a token and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

4 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

J. Money said...

Very nice one! Love finding "odd" coins out there... Thx for sharing :)

Man said...

Very nice one! Love finding "odd" coins out there... Thx for sharing :)

Thanks, this has been the least known token I found. Usually I can track them down but this one is so odd I cannot find any reliable information.

Anonymous said...

The text looks Chinese/Japanese to me. I had a Japanese token that was almost impossible to ID. Finally met a classmate who was Japanese and she translated the token for me.

Man said...

The text looks Chinese/Japanese to me. I had a Japanese token that was almost impossible to ID. Finally met a classmate who was Japanese and she translated the token for me.

Yes, I agree.
If you know anyone who can translate feel free to send them to this page.