Wednesday, January 04, 2012

1928 Buffalo Nickel

Do you have a Buffalo nickel and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question

First find of 2012!

Got this slightly scratched old five cent coin in my change at a regular store. Also known as an Indian Head nickel but at this point finding any 84 year old coin is great.

 

This is the third buffalo nickel I found around the holidays. A 1927 nickel late in 2007 and a dateless buffalo in late 2008 are not a coincident. I said it before, the holidays always brings out some nice finds.

I imagine grandma giving a little grandchild the coin saying how special it was, telling a long story of her youth and recently passed grandpa. Then in a week later the kids goes to the local store and buys a bag chips with his change and use it without a second thought.

Since technically the holidays are over after Three Kings Day on January 6th I will keep looking for more old change finds. (For those who may not celebrate Three Kings Day or Epiphany it is generally celebrated with a reenactment of the Epiphany and giving gifts to children.)

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Cents / United States
Year: 1928
Mintage: 23,411,000
Metal: 75% Copper, 25% Nickel
Value: $1.25 in G-4

Do you have an old nickel and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

22 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

TL said...

Nice find!

Man said...

Nice find!

Thanks, make me hopeful for the year.

TL said...

You're welcome. So far, this year I have gotten some Canadian coins, a Euro and an African coin. I really wish I could find a buffalo nickel with a date, because I have two dateless ones.

Also, I have a question I hope you can answer. I have a 1968 Canadian quarter and was wondering how can I tell if it's the silver or nickel version? There's a lot of worn, so I cannot tell by the color.

Man said...

So far, this year I have gotten some Canadian coins, a Euro and an African coin.
--What type of African coin?

I have a 1968 Canadian quarter and was wondering how can I tell if it's the silver or nickel version?
--Use a magnet, nickel will stick to the magnet.

TL said...

It says 2006 on the back top, with a picture of a bird with a crown and on the sides it says "Afrika" and "Borwa". On the front, it says 5C with a picture of I think a flamingo.

Man said...

2006 on the back top, with a picture of a bird with a crown and on the sides it says "Afrika" and "Borwa". On the front, it says 5C with a picture of I think a flamingo.

South African just $0.05 in fine, it is actually a blue crane on the back.
Nice find it was only made for 2 years until they switched to Suid-Afrika. I guess Borwa confused some people.

TL said...

It's a nice little coin. Today I got some wheat pennies, Canadian pennies, the 2011 Chickensaw America the Beautiful Quarter, and a 2008 Andrew Jackson Presidential Dollar coin. It's not P mintmark, and I looked close a few times and I swear it looks like a S mint mark. It might be, because the coin has a lot more texture in the details than the other ones I have.

Man said...

Today I got some wheat pennies, Canadian pennies, the 2011 Chickensaw America the Beautiful Quarter,
--Nice, old and new finds

2008 Andrew Jackson Presidential Dollar coin. It's not P mintmark, and I looked close a few times and I swear it looks like a S mint mark. It might be, because the coin has a lot more texture in the details than the other ones I have.
--Could be it should have a mirrored background.
If still in near perfect condition it could be up to $10.00.

TL said...

I'm pretty sure it's S. The background is mirrored. It's not perfect condition, but it's not bad either. I'd say it's moderate.

Back to the Canadian quarter, so if it does not stick to a magnet, it is silver?

Man said...

I'm pretty sure it's S. The background is mirrored. It's not perfect condition, but it's not bad either. I'd say it's moderate.
--Nice probably around $2.00 then but good for filling out an album.

Back to the Canadian quarter, so if it does not stick to a magnet, it is silver?
--Yes.

Sydney said...

I have an extremely worn buffalo nickel in my possession. It feels almost completely smooth to the touch. The year is gone, "LIBERTY" is gone, "FIVE CENTS" is almost completely gone (half of the word "five" and just the top half of the 'C' in "cents"), along with the top 1/4 of "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA". The buffalo itself if 4 legged. Both the Indian and buffalo have a great lack of detail. The buffalo really only has some detail in the beard/chest area, along with a couple fine lines at the beginning of his shoulders. The Indian is almost completely smooth minus the basic outline. I've read that these aren't worth much because the lack of year/mint and only really used in decoration. However I can't seem to find anything about the outer rim of the nickel... Instead of just being completely flat as you'd expect a worn nickel to be in this state, it seems as if it were imprinted/stamped into the metal. I've looked at other pictures of an intact nickel, so what I'm saying is the line that starts at the bottom of the Indian's neck upwards to the head seems to be not as perfectly straight. However there is an extremely noticeable dip parallel to the dip in the brow/forehead area (where the 'LIB' in "LIBERTY" would be). Just wondering if this may be an error in the coin, a fake, or something that's common/you know about? Thanks for the help :)

Man said...

an extremely worn buffalo nickel...

Sounds damaged nothing you describe indicates an error.

About $0.25 for this dateless buffalo.

Anonymous said...

I have a 1919-S Buffalo Nickel that has a crack on the Buffalo's back as well as a small crack by his tail and one on the front under the Indian's feather. Does this occur often and how can I upload a picture for you to see it.

Man said...

1919-S Buffalo Nickel that has a crack on the Buffalo's back as well as a small crack by his tail and one on the front under the Indian's feather.

Picture is not needed.
Yes Die Cracks are common and do not add value. Even new coins have cracks.

About $9.00 in good.

Anonymous said...

I found a buffalo nickel in my change today.little dirty but still has clean details

Anonymous said...

sorry it's a 1936 nickel

Man said...

buffalo nickel in my change today.little dirty but still has clean details...1936 nickel

Nice, assuming very-fine about $2.00.

Anonymous said...

I found what appears to be a 1925 Buffalo nickel in my yard after digging. Although dirty it appears to have little wear, the lettering on the back is very good but the date on front is dirty and hard to read also looks copper rather than nickel.

Man said...

1925 Buffalo nickel in my yard after digging. Although dirty it appears to have little wear, the lettering on the back is very good but the date on front is dirty and hard to read also looks copper rather than nickel.

Environmental damage is turning it copper colored.
About $0.50 because of damage

Unknown said...

How can u tell the date if its not there

Unknown said...

I have a 1935 buffalo nickel would like to know if it's worth anything no markings on it as far as there is no s or a d it's a straight date

Unknown said...

glenhudson640@gmail.com