Friday, January 13, 2012

1963 Cyprus 5 Mils

Do you have a Cyprus coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment

Back when I got this coin it took me a long time to identify it. The language was not familiar, the value is just a number 5, and there are no symbols are images that I associate with different regions of the world. The key is the word KIBRIS. A quick Google search shows that KIBRIS is Turkish and ΚΥΠΡΙΑΚΗ is Greek but most important is that in English it means Cyprus.

The second confusing part is the two dates, 1960 and 1963. Knowing the unofficial coin rule that the later date is the real date I can assume that the earlier date is something else important. Turns out 1960 is the year of Cyprus independence. 

ΚΥΠΡΙΑΚΗ ΔΗΕΜΟΚΡΑΤΙΑ· KIBRIS CUMHURYETI (CYPRUS REPUBLIC) 1963 over shielded 1960
5 with stylized ancient boat at sea
This is one of those coins I got from a lot buy and it happens to be the most common of this type. That is not a coincident and when buying coin lots expect to find the most common types, even if they are unsearched simple probability will always lean towards common types.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Mils / Cyprus
Year: 1963
Mintage: 12,000,000
Metal: Bronze
Value: $0.05 in Very-Fine

Do you have coin from Cyprus and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

17 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

TL said...

This is a cool coin! Where do you buy coin lots?

Man said...

Where do you buy coin lots?

Back in the day I used eBay and bought anything under $10 that had 100+ coins.

Also from Eastern Numismatic Inc. which had 1 Pound bags for less than $20 with shipping.

I currently do not buy anything.

TL said...

That's pretty cool. Have you had any luck on getting anything from change lately? I have had a couple wheat pennies here and there, but not too much excitement since the night I got the half dollars. Although, tonight a customer gave me 7 Canadian One Dollar Coins, which are pretty cool as I haven't gotten one since I was younger.

Man said...

Have you had any luck on getting anything from change lately?

No, but since I've switched to almost all e-banking I do not expect much change finds. Which is why I'm showing off old coins that I never showed before.

My paycheck goes to the bank and all my bills are paid through my account, I think all of 2012 I have not once used cash.

Man said...

I mean I'm still using the money I took out of ATM in December but no need for more cash.

Anonymous said...

hey, do you have any idea when we might start seeing 2012 coins?

Man said...

do you have any idea when we might start seeing 2012 coins?

According to some a few have been found, mostly quarters and some cents all Denver.

But I have not seen the pics so I think mid Feb. they start rolling out in force.

TL said...

I love finding foreign coins. Today I found a 1971 Bermuda One Cent coin.

Man said...

I love finding foreign coins.

Agreed it is great to see what other countries decide to honor and symbolize.

Obsolete Currency said...

That's neat. I've got one of those in rough shape with so much green oxidation on it that is hiding much of the detail.

It's practically the first coin to ever enter my coin collection as I found it back in the 1980's when I was a kid vacationing in Cyprus. There was a dead baby hedgehog on the side of the road and I pushed it and the coin was underneath it.

Man said...

There was a dead baby hedgehog on the side of the road and I pushed it and the coin was underneath it.

That story is great...well not for the hedgehog.

There was something odd about Cyprus coins the bronze does not stay red for long. It could be location, salt air. Also it could be the way it is made the bronze may have impurities.

Kuroi said...

I've just found the same coin tonight, thanks for putting this article up, otherwise it would have taken me quite a while to uncover the nature of the coin :)
Ah I also found a 1927 Danmark 2 øre coin too

Man said...

No problem those older Cyprus coins are difficult to identify sometimes.

1927 Danmark 2 øre coin:

If HCN is above the word ORE about $0.10

If N is above the word ORE about $1.00

Anonymous said...

Mine has the same image as yours but mine is silver? any idea of its worth

Man said...

Mine has the same image as yours but mine is silver?

Could be plated with no extra value.

Recheck the date and the denomination?
Is it 5 mils from 1963?

Martha said...

I have many of those as i come from cyprus but one of my 5 Mils coins of 1963 doesn't have the ship at the back. See this picture: http://s12.postimg.org/r833aqo59/5_Mils.jpg

Any ideas??

Man said...

from cyprus but one of my 5 Mils coins of 1963 doesn't have the ship at the back.

A Love Token.

Basically someone at home carved up the back for some reason. It is damaged and has no extra value.