Friday, May 30, 2014

2008 Oman 25 Baisa, Steel

First coin from Oman ever. It was given to me by a friend who knows I collect after he found it in his change. It may have been given to him at his work's cafeteria, he was not sure. Typical of Islamic countries this coin has few images and no people.

Even if you cannot read the words the symbol on coins from Oman are easier to identify. Crossed swords under a sheathed traditional khanjar dagger under chain linked symbolic flags. The rim has dashes all around and the edge is reeded.

On the bottom is the dual dated year in Arabic, read backwards as 1428 - 2008. The denomination is huge in the center saying 25 with the Oman national arms on either side. The rim has the dashes like on the other side.

This coin is nickel clad steel and is strongly attracted to magnets. There is supposed to be a copper-nickel version but it is not listed in my older world coin books. In most modern coin books Oman is the only O country listed.

I know little about Oman. It is an oil rich country that is very Islamic and sits at the edge of the middle east. They use the rial which is equivalent to about $2.65 in U.S. dollars. The baisa is 1/1000 of a rial so less then a cent in exchange rates. The lowest circulating money is a 5 baisa coin which is like a penny. The highest circulating money is the 50 rial bill which is like the $100 bill in the U.S.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 25 Baisa  / Oman
Year: 2008
Mintage: Not yet known.
Metal: Nickel-Clad Steel
Value: $0.35 in EF-40

Do you have a cent from Oman and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

5 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Aussie Kid said...

I have recently found out that it's good to have connections when collecting coins.
Even though I never buy anything from it my school's cafe operators regularly let me view EVERY single coin in the till and generously let me swap out my coins for any of theirs that I need. Usually I just bring 50 cents to swap with as I have full collections of the higher denomination coins like $1. Haven't found anything too exciting yet but in the weeks to come hopefully I will find a gem.

You may also be interested to know that the 2001 Federation series is also on our 20 cent coins. The designs were determined by an Australia Wide competition and only school age students could enter. I have some of them (not a complete set yet as they are rare if not rarer then their 50 cent counterparts) and the designs are quite professional and thought provoking for something designed by a school student.

The designs for the 50 cent coins in the series were designed by the Royal Australian Mint.
Heres a link to their website so you can see some of the designs for yourself:
(50 cent)
http://www.ramint.gov.au/designs/ram-designs/50c.cfm
(20 cent)
http://www.ramint.gov.au/designs/ram-designs/20c.cfm

These give you a general idea of the coins im collecting :)

Man said...

@aussiekid

Nice, the Prince William and Kate coin looks odd.

I guess every country now does special designs each year. I still have not completed my State Quarters collection and that started in 1999.

Cool that they let you look in the till. Hopefully they do not switch to an all credit system like some U.S. schools.

Aussie Kid said...

Yes i have a particular dislike for the Kate and William coin and believe me, they look stranger in the flesh. They wont switch to a credit system any time soon its not a large school.

Unknown said...

I have the same Oman coin with 1406 written below. What is its value?

Man said...

Oman coin with 1406 written below

About $0.20