Wednesday, March 05, 2014

1939 Wheat Cent

Got two of these in my change recently most from my change I get at lunch. I have been using cash for lunch and the bill is usually ending in .09 and that change has been loaded with old and odd coins.


The coins I get in my change are heavily circulated and probably will never be more than XF, most are G-4 or good. Tipping these days rarely involves change I would use bills and notes and keep the coins to search through later. If done right it is a good way to get change finds but being slightly off with the price of things will result in nothing worth searching.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Cent / United States
Year: 1939
Metal: 95% Copper 5% Tin and Zinc
Mintage: 316,466,000
Value: $0.15 in G-4

Do you have a wheat cent and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

4 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Wisdom of a lady said...

I have a 1956 D wheat penny with the word LIBERTY misspelled as Liserty. You can clearly see the s

Man said...

1956 D wheat penny with the word LIBERTY misspelled as Liserty

Altered coin, it is easy and common to move the metal on coins.

Damaged, no extra value.

Wisdom of a lady said...

Without seeing it you can make that judgement? You can sday that about any or many coins.

Man said...



Yes, because coins are made in certain way making a wrong letter impossible.

The word LIBERTY is made on a master hub from there it is copied to dies perfectly. Each die is then used to press coins. At no point can the design ever change.

Errors can happen but with the blank coin not the design on the coin.

Add to that that nearly all 1956 error coins have been listed in error books. Never has a a wrong letter error have been found in this coin or any other.