Thursday, July 05, 2012

1991 Malawi Tambala

Have a Malawi coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment

The one and only Malawi coin I own. My information is so limited about Malawi that I cannot confirm if any of Madonna's children are from here. In general African coins are difficult to find and have little interest among most casual collectors.

MALAŴI
1 (Rooster) 1991 TAMBALA
What I find most interesting is the accented W written like this Ŵ. The circumflex is not seen often outside of math and engineering so it is nice to see it on coins. I hear other languages use it on a regular basic but I only see them in the sciences.

The rooster is also neat. It seems to be in full crow and is scratching at the dirt. As for exchange value you need 271 of these to make one U.S. cent.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Tambala / Malawi
Year: 1991
Mintage: Unknown
Metal: Copper Plated Steel
Value: $0.15 in Fine

Do you have a Malawi coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

17 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

It seems interesting that this coin is also my only Malawian coin. Mine is also 1994. The only difference is mine has mint luster (it does have a few circulation scratches, so it is AU).

Also, I have a question not relating to this coin. How much would a 1950 Iran 25 dinars in VG condition be worth? It says $20 in the Krause book for fine, mine is VG.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I meant mine is 1994 in the first post, not "also 1994."

Man said...

1950 Iran 25 dinars in VG condition
--About $15.00 currently they are selling well, the book is a good guide but current auctions and forum trades can also help. I suspect they are going up in anticipation to war so the value may fall again if nothing happens.

...so it is AU...mine is 1994
--About $0.65

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the values. I really only stated the stuff about my tambala, I knew the value of it. I did pretty well on the Iranian coin, I got it out of a 4 for $1 dealer box.

Man said...

I did pretty well on the Iranian coin, I got it out of a 4 for $1 dealer box.

That sounds great, as long as the coin is not cleaned then you can easily get 10x times the value you paid.

Be aware since there is a $500 mule for that year and many fakes exist.

Anonymous said...

I checked for the mule. My coin is not cleaned, and I am not planning to sell it now anyway. Are the fakes only of the mule?

Man said...

Are the fakes only of the mule?

No, but it is more common. There has been a bunch of MS-65 and higher dinars that come from China.

People pay $30 a piece to have them graded and they get sent back as fakes.

I had a great article from Coin World but I don't think there is a free link.

Anonymous said...

Mine is VG, so it is unlikely that it is a fake, since $15 would not be a great profit for the counterfeiters.

Connor said...

How much is a 1953 Switzerland 1/2 Franc worth and what would be a fair price?

Man said...

1953 Switzerland 1/2 Franc worth and what would be a fair price?

Well I consider a fair price around 10% more or less than it's worth.

In Very-Fine condition about $2.00 mostly for the silver content.

Connor said...

thanks man

Hunter Krueger said...

What would a 1971 5 Tambala be worth in VG?

Man said...

1971 5 Tambala be worth in VG about $0.10

ronald said...

i found a coin as shown above and wondered what its worth have photos. on facebook its been sould for 2dollars on ebay

Man said...

i found a coin as shown above and wondered what its worth

The one above is about $0.15 but in higher grades and on eBay $2.00 seems fair.

Anonymous said...

I have a 1991 Malawi coin is it worth any thing?Please let me know

Man said...

1991 Malawi coin is it worth any thing?

Depends on denomination