Saturday, July 21, 2012

1979 Netherlands Antilles 25 Cents

Have a Netherlands Antilles coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment

The only Netherlands Antilles I own and I completely forgot where I got it. I know this is a Caribbean place, or at least it was once. I also know by 1985 this system is no longer in use but why I am not sure probably local independence.


Pretty average coin nothing jumps out design-wise.


On the obverse NEDERLANDSE ANTILLEN  LIBERTATE UNANIMUS 1979 which means NETHERLANDS ANTILLES FREEDOM OF THE MIND or UNIFIED BY FREEDOM (my Latin is not great) 1979. Two privy marks on either side of the shield.

The edge is reeded but no other security features.

The reverse has the six stars and 25 CENT not CENTS. Also some tropical leaves.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 25 Cent / Netherlands Antilles
Year: 1979
Mintage: 1,012,000
Metal: Nickel
Value: $0.15 in Very-Fine
 
Do you have a coin from the Netherlands Antilles and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

8 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

Do you know why it is "cent" and not "cents" on Dutch coins and coins from Dutch colonies.

Pockets O'Change said...

You better hang on to these coins! They're being replaced by the Caribbean Guilder pretty soon, maybe 2013 if they time it right. The rest of the Dutch Caribbean colonies now use the US Dollar. Going to be interesting as it will be something new to collect!

Man said...

Do you know why it is "cent" and not "cents" on Dutch coins and coins from Dutch colonies.

Not really, it could be a grammar thing. I know if singular it can be an adjective or modifier to a noun.

English is my native language but explain the rules is not my strong suit.

Man said...

You better hang on to these coins! They're being replaced...

Good to know but I only have this one coin.

Hunter Krueger said...

It seems as though I'm now getting new coins and bills all the time! Got these: http://img444.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=coins003.jpg today. The Nazi Germany 10 reichspfennig is from 1941. I only say this because it kind of looked like a 1944 in the picture. Also, the Russian 20 Kopeks has some damage on the final 1 in 1961. Could you please tell me all of their values? Thanks!

Man said...

It seems as though I'm now getting new coins and bills all the time!

Nice.

1967 Canada 5 Cents about $0.20 looks mint.

1946 Portugal 1 Escudo about $0.50

1941-A Germany 1 Reischpfennig about $0.20

1961 Russia 20 Kopeks about $0.30

1922-D Germany 50 Pfennig about $0.10

1996 Canada 2 Dollars about $2.00

1922 Germany 5 Pfennig about $0.10

Hunter Krueger said...

Looking at your values above I am just wondering when you said 1941-A Germany 1 Reischpfennig about $0.20 you did mean 10 Reichspfennig, right?

Man said...

1941-A Germany 1 Reischpfennig about $0.20 you did mean 10 Reichspfennig, right?

Yes, but oddly enough they have the same value.