Monday, April 28, 2014

Dateless Buffalo Nickel, S Mint Mark

While there is no way for the average coin collector to find a date on a very worn coin the mint mark can narrow it down.


Knowing the mint mark is from San Fransisco narrows it down to 20 possible nickels. Most have average value but a few like 1915 and 1921 are $50+ in low grades.

Looking at the front yields no other clues. The wear completely eroded the date and judging by the greenish hue on the back it looks like someone tried to chemically find the date. Using a mixture of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide will etch the surface and sometimes reveal the date. It does not always work and will definitely ruin the coin. the greenish-blue left behind is copper-acetate.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Cents / United States
Year: 19??
Mintage: ????
Metal: 75% Copper, 25% Nickel
Value: $0.50 in G-4

Do you have an old nickel and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

2 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

mariawendell said...

:) I have the same coin but my is from 1927 so I think is not too good I Dont Know

Man said...

the same coin but my is from 1927

If it was a 1927-S it would be about $1.50 in good condition.