Friday, June 08, 2012

1988 Japan 500 Yen

Have a Japanese coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment

This is one of the most valuable coins in my "change finds" vault. At around $7.00 it is enough to buy lunch both here and in Japan, assuming you are not that hungry. If I recall correctly I found this on the subway right in the center of the platform. I will let your imagine run wild on how it got there, I suspect abandoned after pickpocket realized it was not U.S. money.


On the front is 日本 (Japan), not sure about that last symbol. Pawlownia flower and under it 五 百 (Five Hundred Yen).

Like I mentioned before high denomination coins often having fancier edges as a security measure to prevent counterfeiting. This one has NIPPON ◆ 500 ◆ NIPPON ◆ 500 ◆ which again means Japan ◆ 500 (twice).

1988 is Showa 63 or 昭和六十三年 as written neatly under the 500. The reverse also has a beaded rim and some leaves and berries in four directions.

Here are the stats...
Type/Country: 500 Yen / Japan
Year: 1988 (Year 63)
Mintage: 148,018,000
Metal: Copper-Nickel
Value: $7.00 in Extra-Fine

Exchange rate is also about $6.30.

Update: The official name of Japan is 日本国(Nihon Koku) which could be translated as State of Japan. Thanks to eddypc07 for the help.


Do you have a coin from Japan and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

7 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

I believe the last character that you couldn't identify means country.

Man said...

I believe the last character that you couldn't identify means country

Yes, thank you verified with Google Translate.

Country = 国

eddypc07 said...

The official name of Japan is 日本国(Nihon Koku) which could be translated as State of Japan

Man said...

The official name of Japan is 日本国(Nihon Koku) which could be translated as State of Japan

Thanks I will update as soon as possible.

Unknown said...

I have 500/Yen japan 1988 7 pcs 100 Yen 40pcs 50Yen 7pcs 10Yen 30pcs 5Yen 30 pcs 1Yen 6pcs for sell

Anonymous said...

I have 1 piece 500 yen how
much to Philippines money

Anonymous said...

I have 1 how much in philipine value