Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Mind The Gaps

Do you have a coin missing from your simple out of pocket collection and can't figure out why? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the mintage and history for you.

While taking inventory or checking off the list of coins I find in my change occasionally there is a gap. Some coins have a low mintage, some were only sold in special sets, but others just evade capture.

One commenter asked:

For about a year now I've been collecting canadian coins mostly from circulation (I live in Canada) and now I have a lot of coins including every penny from 1960 to 2009, except 1990. Was there a low mintage of this coin or something?
My response:

The average mintage is 500 million or more the 1990 cent had about 210 million made so while lower than normal it is not rare or scarce.

I have the same problem I have almost every Canadian cent from circulation except 1990. It's odd.
Expanding on this Canada made 1,066,628,200 cents in 1989 which led to a smaller 218,035,000 in 1990 then back to 831+ million in 1991. 1990 also introduced a new portrait. While there are some theories behind the lower mintage no good explanation of why they are seldom seen circulating was ever given.

I've found Canadian cents from 1942 and bought others from 1902 to date at low cost. With all that I have not found a 1990 and refuse to buy it, search rolls, or trade for it. 32 Canadian 1964 cents but not one 1990, it's odd.

Other low mintage cents I'm missing:

Canada
2003 92+ million
1990 218+ million
1958 59+ million
1949 33+ million
1948 25+ million
1947 74+ million

Now I just found this nickel.

This 1947 nickel has escaped me for 20+ years and finally I got it. Is it rare? No. Have I found older nickels? Yes. It just happens I never found a United States nickel from 1947 of any mint. This one is dented and damaged but very clear. 1938 and 1944 are other missing years plus counting mintmarks I'm still missing some fairly common nickels.

Is it possible to collect every coin from your change? (Without roll hunting or trading)
Yes. Just wait 80 years and always pay in cash.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Cents / United States of America
Year: 1947
Mintage: 95,000,000
Metal: 75% copper 25% nickel
Value: $0.05 because it's dented

Sidenote: This image was taken with a 10 megapixel camera on loan, now it has been years since I bought my Canon A95 (5 megapixel) and the advances are great.

Want to know if they made a coin for a certain year and its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

8 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

That 1947 nickel may not be worth much, but the fact it is the first one you found in circulation makes it a unique prize for you.

Nickels seem to be the coins that get overlooked by many coin collectors. I sometimes find nickels dated 1959 and earlier still in circulation. While the nickels I find are not really valuable, I enjoy finding old coins still in circulation.

Have you ever found a Buffalo Nickel in circulation?

Man said...

Yes I found several, one from 1921 another from 1927 and a few that are dateless.

I agree with what you said until recently the nickel remained unchanged for almost 70 years. Older nickels can go unnoticed since they look the same as newer ones.

James (UK) said...

I do like that second line:

/QUOTE

"Is it possible to collecting every coin from your change? (Without roll hunting or trading)


Yes. Just wait 80 years and always pay in cash."

/ENDQUOTE

;-)

Man said...

Whoops I add "ing" where it was not needed.
I must edit bettter.:)

Rudy said...

Jeez!! I get 1990 pennies almost all the time!! I guess it just depends on where you live. XI

Man said...

I get 1990 pennies almost all the time!! I guess it just depends on where you live.

True it is odd what shows up and what is missing from my change.

Unknown said...

I have 1 dollar for 2009 serial #K00588595* is rare o how much World

Man said...

1 dollar for 2009 serial #K00588595*

About $25.00 if uncirculated.