Monday, October 07, 2013

1957-A $1 Silver Certificate

Blue seal notes have that obvious blue treasury seal and no federal reserve seal. The blue was to clearly show these notes could have redeemed for an equal amount of silver. Of course that practice has ceased since 1968 and seeing how you can get at least twice the face value on most auction sites it would seem silly to try.


These notes are not rare and in fact I got all of my in change. Over two decades of passively collecting I got quite a few silver certificates in my change. Luckily since old U.S. paper money issued since 1861 is still legal tender then there is always a possibility of finding them.

Granted these are small size notes and pre-1928 notes were larger so finding them may be as close to impossible as you can get. This 1957-A series dollar was printed in the early 1960's so it is easier to find in decent shape. A billion and a half were made so unless near perfect do not expect to get rich.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Dollar / United States
Year: 1957-A
Date Printed: January 1961 - February 1963
Printings: 1,594,000,000
Run: 134th of 157 from E00000001A - E99999999A
Value: $3.00 in Very-Fine

Do you have a note and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

2 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Aussie Kid said...

A while ago i found an interesting way to expand my coin collection:The church I go to is a big old one and is a tourist attraction and there is a donations box. My dad works there at the church and he lets me buy world coins straight from their safe. :) Unfortunately he doesn't let me look though usable Australian money as they get that in the hundreds of dollars tough offertory. I had some pretty cool finds like a 1964 New Zealand Florin, some Australian one and two cent pieces, some american state quarters, tokens from a tax free shop in taiwon, a 1953 japanese 10 yen coin,some Australian Monorail tokens,a 5000 Vietnamese Dong coin (I though that denomination was available only in notes) and a one G(pretty sure its guilder) from the Netherlands and probably more that I've forgotten.

Over in America you are lucky as you get quite a few foreign change finds (but not maybe many right not many right now) whereas in Australia the only foreign coins I have ever gotten in my change are New Zealand cent coins and Fijian 50 cent coins (both are the same shape of Australian 5 anc 50 cent coin respectively).

Man said...

A while ago i found an interesting way to expand my coin collection:The church I go to is a big old one and is a tourist attraction and there is a donations box. My dad works there at the church and he lets me buy world coins straight from their safe...
--That is cool they just had an article saying that most errors and odd money gets taken from banks by cashiers and tellers right after they are delivered.

So I guess if you know someone who deals with money that is a great way to new finds.