Friday, September 13, 2013

1999 Canadian Nickel

This recent change find was given to me after buying a smoothie where I also saw a U.S. dime on the floor but could not pick it up because someone stepped on it and did not move. I was too tired and hot to wait for the dime but I knew I got this Canadian nickel so I was happy.


Yes it is a common 1999 Canadian nickel which  have found before but seeing how few finds I get lately I will celebrate anything. Back in 1999 these still were that 25-75 Cupro-nickel mix unlike today's mix of mostly steel and 2% nickel. It would not shock me if they stop making the nickel but it would shock me if they decided to make it out of some other type of metal.

Pennies and nickels around the world are disappearing as their role in a modern society is reduced. They also become more expensive to make even using cheaper materials. Just in transportation cost they become a burden. Still as a collector I am torn.

On one hand I like finding them even if repeated or not in great shape because it is something that journeyed across time and land just for me to find one. On the other hand they will always be common in my lifetime so why not just buy them online all at once for cheap. I will keep looking and plucking until there is nothing left to find.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Cents / Canada
Year: 1999
Mintage: 124,861,000
Metal: 75% Copper, 25% Nickel
Value: $0.05 in Fine

Do you have a nickel from Canada and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

6 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Aussie Kid said...

Just went to the ANDA coin show and picked up an Aussie 1925 Penny for $125 in Gf Avf condition. I saw some nice coins like a 1930 penny ($27000) and a Holey Dollar Dump ($40000) that is an integral part of Australia's coinage history. One dealer I spoke to said he had 2 1930 pennies and 7 1923 Aussie Half pannies ($2000-$3000). I got the 1928 half penny graded for free and it was graded a Gvf due to cleaning (i didn't do it someone gave it to me) and he showed me actual ms aussie pennies valued at over $1000 and showed me the comparison in the lustre. Quite an educating experience.

Man said...

Just went to the ANDA coin show and picked up an Aussie 1925 Penny for $125 in Gf Avf condition.
--Nice pick up.

I got the 1928 half penny graded for free and it was graded a Gvf due to cleaning (i didn't do it someone gave it to me) and he showed me actual ms aussie pennies valued at over $1000 and showed me the comparison in the lustre. Quite an educating experience.
--At least you learned but lots of shiny coins have been cleaned. Knowing how to tell cleaned from MS is easier in hand but with online photos it can be tough.

So keep coin to shows it is always better to learn in person.

Anonymous said...

I have a 1998 Error nickel - much smaller and thinner than a usual nickel, and lighter than a dime. (it's thinner than a dime even)

Was wondering what it was worth.
I asked a few places but nobody seemed to have any idea. The pictures are next to a regular nickel and a dime for size comparison.

http://imgur.com/On2tRqH,kLpdyFo

Man said...

1998 Error nickel - much smaller and thinner than a usual nickel, and lighter than a dime. (it's thinner than a dime even)

1. Either it is a fake made by cutting and shaving a regular nickel.

2. It is an error made from a different metal.

Your pictures are not clear enough to tell either way. You need to have them seen in person by several coin shops.

Anonymous said...

In March 15th 2021... Me, I found the Canadian Dime 1989 & Canadian Nickel 1999

The Moment of 2022-2023 said...

If could get Rare Property before October 16, 2022. Got Miles Canyon. from Miles Canyon x2. is as $25,000. and Small Fountain Drink. would be a Coast to Coast from Monopoly McDonald's. Before the Rare Whistler. the Wapusk National Park for Ryobi Tools. and Peggy's Cove HyperX. didn't found a Rare after is on October 11th, 2022. Isn't after Day 5, 6 to 7. Wapusk National Park of Ryobi before the Rare Property is... Peggy's Cove as HyperX Tools Bundle. before the Rare is Tunnel of Moose Jaw. Yours trial is online. Another Wapusk National Park for Ryobi at Day 8th, and Saint-Catherines Street. before Bay Gift-Card of $2,000. Next on October 20, 2022. The Day 9 by Day Ones With Rams (DOWR). Just Signal Hill after HyperX Gaming Bundle. and Montreal Airport from Universal Parks & Resorts. The Day 10th. before the Rare RMHC Toronto at
Ronald McDonald House Charity. the RMHC Montreal. Saint-Catherine Street as The Bay Gift-Cards of $2,000. Meanwhile on October 21, 2021. Their INFINI at Montreal. Sincere is CN 2952 as ES44AC. Miles Canyon / $25,000 and Lake Louise / Polaris Vehicle Bundle (PVB). Saint-Catherines Street and Montreal Airport (Universal Parks and Resorts and The Bay Gift-Cards $2,000).

Doing Day 11, 12 and 13th. RMHC Alberta (Ronald McDonald House Charity). or the Lake Louise is before the Rare Property One is Makenzie River.

Thanks for watch