Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lukewarm Coin Season

Do you have a world coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

Over the last two weeks I have not traveled at all. But that doesn't stop the world from coming to New York City and leaving their change behind. There is also a theory in the numismatic community that due to the bad economy that more older notes and coins will surface as the elderly turn in hidden stash to pay for food.

On the other end of that depressing thought is that more foreigners traveling to the U.S.A. will not try to pass their homeland money since the dollar is weak. They know even small change is worth more from their countries.

At the end this means I'll see more old American money and less world coins, so far by my small count this is becoming true.

Now in the peak of the summer travel season I only got a few foreign coins and one wheat cent. The Bermuda and Canada coins are fairly new while the U.S. cent is from 1944.

I must say the reverse of the Bermuda cent is one of my favorites. It's a plump little pig...mmm pork chops.

I also enjoy seeing the three portraits of Queen Elizabeth, who is the most coined figure in the world. Each portrait is slightly different the coins are separated by two years but the bust of the queen is not updated evenly across each country. I'm not sure what sort of uniformity is involved when updating her portrait.

Here's the stats from top left...
Type/Country: 1 Cent/Bermuda
Year: 2003
Mintage: 800,000
Metal: Copper-Plated Zinc
Value: $0.10 in VF

Type/Country: 1 Cent/United States
Year: 1944D
Mintage: 430,578,000
Metal: 95% Copper 5% Zinc
Value: $0.10 in VF-20

Type/Country: 25 Cents-Caribou Design / Canada
Year: 2005P
Mintage: 206,346,000
Metal: 94% Steel, 3.8% Copper, and 2.2% Nickel
Value: $0.25 in F

Type/Country: 25 Cents-Caribou Design / Canada
Year: 2001P
Mintage: 55,773,000
Metal: 94% Steel, 3.8% Copper, and 2.2% Nickel
Value: $0.25 in F

Do you have an old coin and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

4 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

what is the value of a 1943 amreican 1 cent coin?

Man said...

1943 amreican 1 cent coin

About $0.30

Snab10241973 said...

Hello
I was wondering if you know anything about a 1936 bermuda twenty five cents piece that has a bird on 1 side and queen Elizabeth portrait on the other side ? I was given this in my change for coffee this morning and cannot find out any info on it.
Thanks !

Man said...

1936 bermuda twenty five cents piece that has a bird on 1 side and queen Elizabeth portrait

No such thing.

Queen Elizabeth was not queen in 1936. Also Bermuda was not independent in 1936.

This is probably a 1986 with a Struck Through Grease error, just $0.25.