Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What the Blankety Blank?

Do you have an error coin and want to know how much it's worth? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

I bought this error coin from eBay for $2.04. It is a type 2 clad quarter blank planchet. It has no reverse or obverse but trust me I did flip this coin over for a second scan.

If you're wondering why this isn't just a slug is because this is not a fake coin. It is clad quarter that escaped being struck by the die. It is from 1965-2008, weighs 5.67 grams, you can clearly see the copper on the edge.

The type 2 or type II refers to the rim. A type 2 means that the rim was upset or formed. If the rim was not there it would be type 1 or type I, these are worth twice as much. Sometimes the type 2 coin have the edge reeded in quarters and those are worth a little more. This on here has a smooth edge.

These errors are found most often in new fed bank rolls and mint bags. I've never found any in change but I know some people who found them and passed it on thinking it was a slug that is worthless, ugh.

Here's the stats...
Error: Blank Planchet Type II
Type/Country: 25 Cents/United States
Year: Unknown(1965-2008)
Mintage: N/A
Metal: 91.67% Copper 8.33% Nickel
Value: $6.50 in VF-20

Do you have an error coin and want to know how much it's worth? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

15 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Man said...

No thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I couldn't figure out how to email you. I have an 1860 Indian head penny with a blank reverse. The obverse is in G4 condition and looks just fine and normal. But, the reverse is totally blank, and has some serious gouge marks as well, as though it got caught in the press wrong. Does something like that have any value above your basic 1860 Indian head penny? Thanks!

Man said...

1860 Indian head penny with a blank reverse. The obverse is in G4 condition and looks just fine and normal. But, the reverse is totally blank, and has some serious gouge marks

This is damage and has no value. Whatever value the coin had is now gone.

Anonymous said...

Hi i have a canadian dollar coin with some runner on it the coin is in a holder of some sort and it says "no grass" just wondering if you could help me with this

Man said...

canadian dollar coin with some runner on it the coin is in a holder of some sort and it says "no grass"

This may or may not be an error.

There are several varieties the one you have should be with a bit of grass in front of the runner front foot and it doesn't continue until his sock.

I've never seen this error in person so I don't know if it's struck through grease or some real variety.

They sell for about $20.00 in brilliant uncirculated but they are not listed in any book I own. This means the market is very unstable for this coin.

Elyana Toledo said...

Hello.
A few years back (I don't remember how) but I found some sort of metal circle, the size of a U.S. quarter. Something told me to keep it, since I collect other coins, so I did. It looks probably exactly like yours. There's no line rims, or whatever they're called, like the regualar quarter has. So how do I know if it's really one of these error coins or just something else that resembles it?!
Thanks!

Man said...

So how do I know if it's really one of these error coins or just something else that resembles it?!

First look at the edge it should either be all silver color or have a streak of copper.

Second and most important weigh it.
All silver should weigh 6.25 grams
Copper clad should weigh 5.67 grams.

It can still be some other type of blank but the weight should tell.

minterror said...

? Unknown year? $2 EURO , double tail in XF condition...good luck

Man said...

Unknown year , $2 EURO double tail in XF Condition

As far as I know all of them have been faked, so no extra value.

If real it would be worth thousands.

SLS said...

I HAVE A PENNY BLANK WITH A SMALL PROTRUSION ON ONE SIDE THAT SAYS
'ITED ST" ON ONE SIDE AND HAS A PARTIAL PICTURE ON THE OTHER. IS THIS WORTH ANYTHING?

Man said...

A PENNY BLANK WITH A SMALL PROTRUSION ON ONE SIDE THAT SAYS
'ITED ST" ON ONE SIDE AND HAS A PARTIAL PICTURE ON THE OTHER.


Sounds like 90%-95% Off-Center cent about $5.00.

Sean said...

I have a 1985 quarter that is off center. I'm guessing its around 35-40% off center. Does this coin have any value? We just stumbled across it a year or so ago. Thanks!

Man said...

1985 quarter that is off center. I'm guessing its around 35-40% off center

About $75.00

Garrett said...

I have a 1945 quarter with a blank backside, is that worth anything? Thanks!

Man said...

1945 quarter with a blank backside,

Not a true error, someone probably shaved the back to make jewelery.

Only worth it's weight in silver about $4.00 or less.