Anonymous asked this question....Here's the stats for that penny....
I found an indian head penny, the picture and year and all the letters and words in the coin are completly clear. It date is 1889. Is this coin worth anything?
Metal: 95% copper 5% tin and zinc
Value: G-4 $3.00 (check grading guide below for higher values)
The Indian Head Penny was minted from 1859-1909 only the 1908 and 1909 came with two mint marks. Generally each Indian Head is about $2.50 in low grade but the years between 1866-1878 gets low grade values of $60.00 on average.
The highest low grade + non-error coin is 1877 which at G-4 is $900.00.
Here's how to quickly determine the grade for that 1889 penny.
G-4 (Good) value $3.00
- on the front the Indian's headband won't show the word LIBERTY
- the wreath in the back is worn, no details
- no rim on coin
- on the front LIBERTY is full and readable
- the wreath has leaves but they are worn
- full rim
- full sharp LIBERTY
- feather on headdress fully sharp every line visible
- only the bow on the wreath will be slightly worn
- only the slightest worn spot on the ear or the curl of the Indian's hair
Full red color and sharp unmarked coins are worth a lot more in auctions.