Wednesday, July 21, 2010

1954 D Nickel

Do you have a nickel and want to know its value? Leave a comment

The 1954 Denver nickel is not rare or special but it is oldish. The fact that a person can find a 56 year old object still fascinates me. Then again I am easily hypnotized by small shiny objects.

 

For these older coins from 1938-1967 the mintmark is on the back. More specifically the mintmark is on the reverse to the right of the Monticello. It would be either a D or S or blank. If it were one of the wartime silvers it would be above the building.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 5 Cents / United States
Year: 1954D
Mintage: 117,183,060
Metal: 75% Copper, 25% Nickel
Value: $0.10 in Fine

I would say ignore the lint on the back but it is too obvious. I cleaned one side one my shorts, who knew my pants were so linty.

Do you have a nickel and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

10 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Kelly said...

the lint- its driving me nuts. distracting me from your creative background which I cannot decipher. Due to the lint, of course.

I am particularly fond of really old coins, too. They have a history.

Man said...

Funny thing is in hand I couldn't see the lint but once I took the picture every little bit of dust pops up crystal clear.

Background of the day is window sill after the window was left open during a storm. I'm bad at cleaning the sills.

Anonymous said...

i have a nickel. on one side its the beaver with the year 1952. on the other side it says georgivs vi dei gratia rex with a picture of a man. underneath his picture it says hp in really small letters. the edge of the coin has the same design as a loonie or penny.

Man said...

nickel. on one side its the beaver with the year 1952

Canadian about $0.10

fatty said...

I love spending time talking about NICKELS!!!

Delia Morales said...

Is a 1954 copper nickel possible? If it is then i have a possibility of having one. I also have or might have a 1974 copper dime? How can i tell? And how much(if its real) will it be?

Man said...

1954 copper nickel possible? If it is then i have a possibility of having one. I also have or might have a 1974 copper dime? How can i tell?

Yes it is possible.

They need to be weighed with a 0.01 gram scale. If either is underweight it is possible they are errors worth hundreds of dollars.

Unknown said...

So I found 2 nickels while going through a case from the bank and found two copper nickels. 1954D and 1957D. Are you telling me these aren't someone's chemistry experiment?

Man said...

two copper nickels. 1954D and 1957D. Are you telling me these aren't someone's chemistry experiment?

Two possibilities:
1 sat in some kind of acid or base and it has leeched the copper, no extra value.
2 is a Off-Metal error of some type, it should be weighed and value depends on type of error

henk.barmans1999 said...

a have a nickel from 1948 do what its worth