Friday, June 23, 2006

Gold Buffalo Coins News


Today the much talked about Gold Buffalo Coin was put up for sale at the U.S. Mint. This is the proof version meaning it is specially minted with a shiny mirror like field. The coin is $800 plus $4.95 shipping and handling with a limit of ten per order.Now I really want this coin but at $800 dollars it is out of my price range. The uncirculated version should be about $675 and will be sold through authorized coin dealers not from the mint directly.

Either way they won't be shipping out until July 13, 2006 and seeing how the mints website crashed today I think the 300,000 coins are sold out.

Yes these coins are legal tender, they are .9999 fine gold bullion, the first of its kind ever made by our mint. It is 1 ounce and gold today is at $582.90 an ounce.

If you buy one I would love to see a picture these are truely classicly minted coins.

7 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Anonymous said...

I suspect it will be hard to get a better picture from an actual shipped coin, as it will naturally be in a plastic carrier, but it's worth a try. Here is my amateur attempt to photograph my one-ounce American Eagle with a standard point-and-shoot digital camera.

I placed an order for the Buffalo gold coin. If I get it I'll try to remember to post pictures for you.

Man said...

Nice picture proof coins are hard to photograph. I often have pictures of proofs that reflect the edge of my camera.

That 2005W is great and at value of $800.00 it is worth keeping safe.

I hope you don't mind I will make a post about this great coin and use the pictures.

Anonymous said...

It finally arrived. Images are available here.

Man said...

Nice pictures, so it is true that the background is very dimpled.

I saw how the price jumped on eBay even tripled when some were certified.
I don't know how long that will last.

Either way it looks great does it look better then the American Eagle?

I'll make a post about this soon.

Thanks for the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I just purchased a few 1OZ Gold Buffalo coins from Northwest Territorial Mint. All coins were sealed.
I unsealed one and found that the thickness of the coin is not the same in different spots.
If I lay the coin on a flat desk and look between the coin and desk, I can see that some parts of the coin are not touching the desk.
Is it normal?

Man said...

1OZ Gold Buffalo coins from Northwest Territorial Mint. All coins were sealed.
I unsealed one and found that the thickness of the coin is not the same in different spots.
If I lay the coin on a flat desk and look between the coin and desk, I can see that some parts of the coin are not touching the desk.
Is it normal?


It is not uncommon. I mean to say with 24k gold coins they bend easily. This should not change the bullion value but it would never get graded anything high.

New gold coins are often perfect but after getting ejected from the press or being packed the can get distorted.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Man,
Maybe I'll post a picture so you can take a closer look.