Wednesday, November 04, 2015

1965 Lincoln Memorial Cent

Officially 50 years old which is one criteria to get a post on this blog. Is it special or rare? No, but that is not why I collect.

This was the first year the U.S. Mint stopped adding mint marks to coins. This was done to stop collectors from hoarding coins. Years early the mint announced they would eliminate silver fro  coins. This news and the rising value of silver had people falsely thinking they could get rich off their pocket change.

Amateur collectors popped out by the millions. They also started to notice that coins had mint marks and different ones had different values. They expanded their hoarding to every type of coin. The results were a temporary shortage and the government trying to correct it. For the next three years, 1965, 1966, 1968, the mint kept making coins in different locations just not labeling them.

As the silver market settled down and people moved on to the next craze the mint again started putting mint marks on coins.

Here's the stats...
Type/Country: 1 Cent  / United States
Year: 1965
Mintage: 1,497,224,900
Metal: 95% Copper, 5% Zinc
Value: $0.02 in EF-40

Do you have a cent and want to know its value? Leave a comment/question and I will do my best to find out the price and history for you.

10 dollars worth, for Comments/Questions click here.:

Aussie Kid (All time fan of this blog) said...

Thanks for keeping this blog alive Man! Would also like to congratulate you on the longevity of your blog (take a lot of commitment to this blog for so long!). I was looking at some of my older comments (2013 etc) and remembering the eagerness at which I waited for your reply. I still check this blog daily and now my collection has grown to over 2500 coins! (I'm to lazy to count and it would take far too long so it could be in the region of 3-3.5 thousand in reality). I still collect from my change and am always on the lookout for new coins to add to my collection.



Thanks for all the great tips, comments and valuations and look forward to reading more of your content!

Man said...

@Aussie Kid

Thanks for the kind words, I try.

I am working more and more so I have not updated regularly but I will try and keep this blog going until either the internet goes down or a zombie apocalypse.

Xrayjay77 said...

I found a 1990 Denver mint nickel with what appears to me a long die crack which begins at the second 9 runs south to north to the star then cuts west biforcating the cheek then runs up the outline of the face terminating just past the hairline. Can't find much info on this curiosity you seem to have the info fountain can you please let me know what you can and where to get my millions?

Man said...

1990 Denver mint nickel with what appears to me a long die crack which begins at the second 9 runs south to north to the star then cuts west biforcating the cheek then runs up the outline of the face terminating just past the hairline.

No extra value for this Die Crack error.

Anonymous said...

I have a 2000 virginia quarter one side gold the other silver looking worth anything

Joe s said...

I have a 1974 Lincoln penny that didn't get the tails side printed on it. Is this a rare coin??

Man said...

2000 virginia quarter one side gold the other silver looking

Plated, no extra value.

Man said...

1974 Lincoln penny that didn't get the tails side printed on it. Is this a rare coin??

Not possible, damaged at some point.

Anonymous said...

I have a 1965 Lincoln penny and the f in of is partially missing was wondering your thoughts.

RICKY D said...

hello Aussie Kid since you Offered I have a1967 DDO penny I'd like to know if you know the value and a location I can see other example's
Thanks Ricky D